Monday, December 31, 2007

I'm focusing on Connection

My friend Caren over at Open-Hearted Life shared this today, which led me to choose a word to focus on for 2008. It seems like a great tool for growth, and that is one thing I strive for continually.

Through my GUTS work, I've been more connected to my future self (the one with all my answers), and so when I'm up against a challenge like choosing a word to focus on for the year, I consult her. For some reason, she always gives me answers very quickly, and so it was with choosing "Connection" for my word of the year.

Connectedness in one of my 10 future self values, and one of the weakest ones. Normally I'm a "focus on your strengths" kind of gal, but I really want to be more connected to those around me.

In focusing on connection, I will try to connect with my sisters (we are not close, in fact, I haven't talked with my middle sister for over a year, not because of any big deal or anything, just haven't picked up the phone).

I will try to connect with my dad and his wife - he has always been on the outskirts of my life, more like an uncle I see every once in a while.

I will try to connect with my in-laws. We've had some uncomfortable times the last five or so years. I always get the idea that they don't think very highly of me, and at the same time, it feels like my MIL is intimidated by me. Then throw in the fact that Bekka hasn't been getting along with them (and it feels like they blame me at least partly for that), and we are definitely not connected.

I will try to connect more with my husband. Communication has never been our strength and I will try to work more on that.

I will try to connect even more with my girls. They are such amazing people and I'm so blessed to have them in my life. It's always been easier for me to relate to Bekka than to Steffi (because her brain works more like mine - I never know where Steffi is coming from), so that will be my primary focus.

I will try to connect deeper with other un/homeschoolers in our area and try to help create a better network.

I will try to connect with others in the community and in the greater community as well, by listening more and not judging.

I will try to connect more to the greater unschooling community by writing more and putting myself out there more online.

Wishing you growth and peace for the new year...

3 comments:

dharmamama said...

I love that word is connection!

I did an exercise where I met my future self... it was SO powerful! And I do use that vision to guide me. One thing my future self told me was that it really, truly doesn't matter what others think of what I do. Not in a selfish way, but I bet you know what I mean.

Here's to ongoing connection with you!

dharmamama said...

Oops. Meant to say, "your word". I'd let it go, but it's buggin' me for some reason.

probably worried about what others will think....

Joanne said...

I love this idea!