Monday, January 18, 2010

Applause for Hiring the Best Qualified Person!

I wasn't paying attention, I often don't. But while spending some time surfing Facebook I saw that Amanda Simpson has become the first transgendered person to be appointed to a high-level position by Obama. Of course, the right wing contingent is all upset about this, saying really stupid things.

What really blows my mind is this, "Matt Barber, associate dean at Jerry Fallwell's Liberty University, said the appointment "boggles the mind" and said that while African-Americans might deserve special treatment, transgender people don't." I just don't get how hiring this incredibly qualified woman is "special treatment"!

But I'm really excited that the Obama administration has been able to overlook all the crap and just hire the person who is most qualified for the job. They haven't been as speedy as most of us would like on gay rights, but at least they aren't pandering to the right by disqualifying deserving candidates.

1 comment:

Elisha said...

I'm a little behind here (teehee) but this is craziness. That statement about African-Americans and transgenders was asinine!